Tuesday, July 22, 2008

In Which I Make Fun of SyFy Portal For Telling Me About Things I'm Actually Interested In

This article is just silly.

"Zachary Quinto, who plays a young Spock in J.J. Abrams' upcoming "Star Trek" movie, based his characterization as much on the film's script as on Leonard Nimoy's previous performance of the iconic character."

Whoa... hold on. You're blowing my mind, SyFy Portal. SERIOUSLY? He like, watched the old show and old movies to figure out what his character would be like? And then he based HIS performance off the only other actor to ever officially play the character?! I'm completely shocked. I never knew an actor would do something so obvious to prepare for a role like that.

Why is this news? I can see wanting to know about it if Quinto was like "eff Nimoy" and decided to do what he wanted, but hearing "Oh, yeah, so he's basing it off the original performance of the character" is not something I need to know about.

I do, however, enjoy knowing that the first time Quinto put the ears on was a moment he shared with his dog.

Also, look at the desktop thing:

I got it off the official website, in the downloads section. There's one with Kirk, Uhura, and I guess whoever's the bad guy. I don't know enough about the plot to have an idea of who he is (and I don't care to, no spoilers for me). But I picked Spock, because I'm talking about him, and also, Spock is the coolest.

In other news, the new Caprica TV show might be starting in the fall. They say they haven't decided if they're airing the telemovie as a telemovie or as the start of the full season. AWESOME. This is interesting because more or less it means we'll have a totally new show about Caprica to get excited about before the end of BSG even happens. Like weaning yourself off heroin with cocaine. Here's the article talking about that. It is also talking about the other BSG telemovie they're working on, saying that it's probably going to be about totally new characters, and apparently this is cause for speculation about another spinoff besides Caprica. ...I'll withhold judgment for now, but let's not get carried away, okay kids?

Last but not least, what the heck is this. Steven Spielberg called up Steven Moffat and was like "write this movie for me"? I don't know why I think this is weird, but I do. I do know Spielberg is a Who fan, which probably means he drooled all over "Blink" just like everyone else in the universe and then decided that he needed Moffat to come make something with him because was obviously teh awsome!!!1!. I don't know where I'm going with this. The gist of it is, Moffat said no because he wanted to do Doctor Who instead of some sequels to Spielberg's Tintin thing (I guess he already wrote the first one). Which I know nothing about other than it's another comic book adaptation. The article is funny though, because it has this huge headline saying Moffat turned down Spielberg, and he was turning down ALLLLL this money to not do it, and then it quotes Moffat as saying, "I hope you don't make what happened sound too dramatic." Ha. Well, he tried.

No comments: